St. Louis Mounted Police Horse Stables
Donated to the City of St. Louis in 1919 by the U.S. Army, this former airplane hangar housed the Forest Park Division of the St. Louis Mounted Police from 1970 until 2007, when lead paid was discovered in the building. The police and their horses were displaced to different locations throughout the Park. With an anonymous gift of $900,000 raised by Forest Park Forever, the Stables reopened in October 2013. The repairs included a new roof, lead and asbestos abatement, new fencing, landscaping and refurbished offices for the officers.